7.2.14

The Jonathan Ross Show - 8th Feb


THE JONATHAN ROSS SHOW
SATURDAY 8TH FEB – 9.55PM – ITV


This week Jonathan is joined by Kiefer Sutherland, Chris O’Dowd, Emily Mortimer and Kevin Bridges with music from John Legend.

Kiefer Sutherland talks about filming the new series of ‘24’ in London which is the first time the American hit show has been filmed outside of the US. Filming in London has bought about a few challenged, mainly the weather and the traffic but so far they’ve managed to negotiate the weather and the recent tube strikes have helped them feel much less guilty about causing traffic when the shut down streets for filming.

We’ve managed to negotiate the weather.  The thing we are most worried about is snow,

The tube strike has actually made me feel a lot better about this because London is a really congested town and even if we only take over a block (for filming) they have to re-direct traffic and you can see it starting to pile up and then people start watching what you’re doing, so people stop their cars to see what’s happening.  So I’m very nervous, having shot in New York where people are very glad to have you in the first couple of weeks and then they want to kill you because of the traffic.  So this is my aforementioned apology to everybody in London if we do cause you any traffic.  But after the tube strike we’re not going to do anything like that.  It’s going to be fantastic.  We’re not going to be even close to that.

Kiefer remains tight lipped on what fans can expect from the new 12 episode series of 24 but Jonathan managed to get a few teasers out of him.

It’s a terrorist threat.  There are a couple of other changes.  I can’t go into it at length but some of the characters that are more familiar to the audience that are coming back, their relationships in these last four years have dynamically changed as well, so it will be very fresh because it feels very fresh to do it right now.  At the root of it, he’s  (Jack) going to have a shitty day.

He also mentions how he’s never watched any of his shows back, apart from once and that he had to take a cooking class because he feared his skills were so bad he’d kill his children…

I haven’t watched an episode of 24, no. But I know how it goes, I have read the script.

I don’t watch the films I’ve made.  I think the last one I watched was Stand By Me.  I had a girlfriend and we went to the cast and crew screening and I had a very specific idea of what I wanted to do with the character.

I was standing there, we watched the movie and everything I thought I wanted to do, I hadn’t done at all.  All I saw was myself up there and I was mortified and my girlfriend was saying, ‘I thought it was really great.’ I said, ‘Don’t patronise me.  I need to get another job.  If I don’t get another job and this comes out I’m dead and my career is over.’  It was really lucky for me because there was another film that I didn’t want to do that I took because of that, which was Lost Boys, so clearly I am not the person to watch my own work.

I tried not to kill my children so I took a class or two.  I’d seen the movie called The Accidental Tourist where one of the themes is that if you slow cook a turkey there’s a good chance you can poison your family, and that scared me.  So I took a couple of classes and then it was something I really liked.  It’s funny because I’m not a foodie but I really liked making this stuff.  I found it really relaxing as long as I didn’t have to do it for anybody or under any time pressure.

Chris O’Dowd co-wrote and starred in sitcom Moone Boy and chats about a time he had to throw his own mother off the set during filming.

We did this scene with Steve Coogan where mum was kind of in the background and while we were just getting ready to start shooting she was on the phone and she kept talking to one of her friends.  I was like, ‘Mum, we’re about to start.’ And she said, ‘It’s okay, I’ll be quiet.’  I went, ‘But we can see that you’re talking on your iPhone in 1990’ which is when the show is set.  So I had to order her to leave the set.  She didn’t seem to care but she never came back.

He also speaks about not telling his wife Dawn O’Porter when he has to film kissing scenes so she doesn’t know they happen until she watch the finished film or show.

I say nothing.  If I have to kiss a girl in a film, Dawn doesn’t know that it’s happening until she sees the film.

Emily Mortimer talks about her self confessed double standards when it comes to kissing scenes for her and her husband Alessandro Nivola.

I’ve got terrible double standards about things like kissing girls.  I think it’s all right for me to kiss people in films, that’s fine, but (if he does it) I hate it and I give him absolute hell about it.  I just hate the whole thing.

Kevin Bridges talks about living across the street from Frankie Boyle.

I’d bought a bike and I knew he (Frankie) was into his cycling so I said to him, ‘Why don’t we cycle to Lock Lomond?’  It’s about a 20 mile cycle and Frankie made it about 200 yards.  He turned back, ditched his bike and said, ‘I’m going to get a taxi, I’ll meet you down there.’  I got lost on my own and arrived about three hours later to see him sitting there reading a paper.

He also speaks about the vote for Scottish Independence.

I think there’s just something exciting about Scotland being this foreign country.  We could really go for it.  Get their own plug sockets,

I would like to see a four year return clause, that if we make a total ar*e of it, we’re your problem again.  We can come back going, ‘Sorry about that wee revolution we had there.  Andy Murray, he’s yours, we get it.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment