6.7.13

Interview - Beth Tweddle


We spoke to Olympic Medalist and Dancing On Ice champion, Beth Tweddle about life since London 2012...



Hi Beth, it's almost a year since the London 2012 Olympics, how's life been?

Since the Olympics life has been very hectic but I have really enjoyed every minute of it! I have got to try many things that I was unable to try before the Olympics such as Wing walking, parasailing, jet skiing and Ice-skating. The new challenge of Dancing on Ice was unbelievable. I loved the new challenge and had such fun doing it and was really lucky to get such a great partner.

How did it compare to past Olympic Games you've competed in? 

London 2012 was a dream come true. It was more than anything I ever thought it would be and I was lucky enough to pick up my life long dream in a medal. I can't thank the British public enough for the support that we received day in day out whether it was cheering for us at the venues, watching in the Olympic Park or the messages that we were receiving via social media. It all helped.

Congratulations on the Bronze Medal! What was the first thoughts that went through your head when you won it?

To be honest I think it was a sense of relief. I felt like a massive weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I had been waiting for that result for so long and it was obvious that it was my last shot at obtaining it. It was just as much for my coach Amanda as it was for myself and my family. She has played the biggest part in my career being there through the ups and downs and never giving up on me.

How did you celebrate? 

I spent time with those closest to me and those who have helped me achieve that dream. 

The goal for the Olympic Games was to inspire a generation, from personal experiences do you think it has been achieved? 

I personally do think that has been achieved. I have had a lot of messages saying that their kids have joined gymnastics since the Olympics and I have seen first hand a lot of clubs with new gymnasts.  

Congratulations on the ice trophy! What made you decide to sign up for dancing on ice over other shows?

I have watched the show for a long time and already loved it. I had always wondered if I could it and the fact I got the opportunity was amazing. I think it is a great family show and obviously Torvill and Dean are legends so to have the opportunity to work with them was amazing.

You and Dan made a great team, what was it like training with him during the competition? 

From day 1, myself and Dan got on great and just spent most of the time on the ice laughing. I think that was the key because we just had fun and I just wanted to continue learning more. I think between us we wanted to reach the final but we never spoke about it.

Do you have a favourite routine from the show? 

That is a hard one as there were a couple. Before the final I would have said Clown from week 5 but after the final I loved doing Car Wash and Bolero so not sure. Think Bolero might get the edge.

How did performing on the 'celebs on ice tour' differ to competing? Which was more nerve wracking? 

Competing is definitely more nerve wracking. I loved the tour 'Celebs on Ice'. I had so much fun and it was great to tour the country with it. I met so many new friends and have a lot of funny memories to treasure from it.

You've ruled out a comeback for Rio 2016, would you still like to be involved in some way? 

I have ruled out another Olympics but gymnastics has always and will always be a massive part of my life so of course I would love to be involved in some way or another.

And finally, what's next for you? 

I have taken a holiday and I am spending a lot of time with family and friends as I have spent so much time away over the past couple of years. I want to continue to inspire the younger generation so I do a lot of school and gym visits. Long term who knows watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment