11.6.13

Steve Hewlett - Interview



It's been a few days since the drama and excitement of the Britain's Got Talent Final, easily the best Final there's been. Each act was worthy of a place, none more so than WildCard Steve Hewlett, we spoke to the hilarious ventriloquist about his time on the show and whats next...


Hi Steve, how're you? What's life been like these past few days since the final?

Since the final it has been strange being recognised almost everywhere I go. I'm used to it performing on Cruises but now it's like i'm on one large ship.
I've had over 300 emails, 400 text messages & thousands of tweets, it's a great feeling knowing many people voted me into 4th place in the Final.

How did you feel when you didn't make the final through your sem-final?

When I didn't make it through in my Semi I thought that was it, I was ready to go home & carry on as before. I was disappointed but my family were devastated. I knew there was a WildCard but didn't think I would be up for it.

When did you get the call to tell you, you were this years wildcard? And what was the first thing that went through your head?

I had a call from David Walliams on the Wednesday before the Final. 1st thing I thought was "what act would I do next? I've got so much material & ideas but it's so hard choosing the right thing to do in 2 minutes on Live TV

What was the atmosphere like backstage during the final show?

The atmosphere backstage was buzzing everyone was excited & ready to go V.I.P.s were arriving & warm up man Genius Ian Royce was breathing much excitement into our audience.

We've got to mention it... Egg Girl! What was everyone's reaction?

After it happened we were treading on egg~shells the rest of the night... sorry we were shell~shocked...
Sorry.
To be honest I was proud of Richard & Adam for how they handled it & carried on, they hardly spoke the rest of the night & I'm sure were gutted but they are such nice guys & didn't deserve that. It was disrespectful to the artistes. From an artiste?
I would rather Eggy Girl done it during mine or Jack's act as we would've used it in our acts to our advantage. Jack proved that going on after the incident.

How long have you been performing as a Ventriloquist? And how on earth did you find out you had such a talent?

I've been a Ventriloquist since age 12.
I started practising after seeing one on TV in 1987

We loved your performances on BGT, where do you get your inspiration from for the material? 

I love writing & wanted to prove you can be innovative & have fun doing this old art.
The Simon doll was thought up few weeks before & Sinitta 3 days before the final.
Being topical & using the judges inspired me to always take it a step further.
It seemed to work.

Other than wanting to win, what made you decide to audition for Britain's Got Talent this year? 

My life as a Ventriloquist has been the same for 16 years. I wanted more recognition.
I became a father and want to leave my daughter with a story to tell at school.
Plus we struggle financially like any other couple.
I took a chance to play the Palladium & Royal Variety and maybe earn a big prize, I just missed it.

And finally, what's next for you? 

I now have Management and am ready to put forward my ideas for a Book, DVD, Tour, TV Shows & much more. I will earn my Royal spot eventually.
Watch this face!

No comments:

Post a Comment